Broken links cause lost leads.
- User experience is hindered — frustrated customers usually don't come back if the landing page doesn't load.
- Flow of link equity is hindered, negatively impacting SEO rankings.
How does this improvement work?
If you see this improvement, we weren't able to load one of the destination URLs in your account.
We'll show you the error we encountered and where this URL is being used in your account. If applicable, we'll also give you a measure of the spend going through the broken link.
To fix this problem, we recommend you fix the URL (if necessary, contact a server administrator). Otherwise, temporarily pause the ad group affected by the broken link. If the improvement flags a broken sitelink, remove or replace that sitelink.
If you're confident the URL is working correctly, feel free to Dismiss this task.
How do I find the broken link or sitelink in Google Ads?
To find a broken link, go into the relevant account in Google Ads. Click Landing pages in the left-hand column, followed by the Filter button. Choose to filter by Landing page, and type in the relevant broken link to find it.
To find a broken sitelink, find the relevant account in Google Ads and click Ads & extensions in the left-hand column. Click the Extensions tab, followed by the Filter button. Choose to filter by Extension type: Sitelink extension, and any other ad group name or campaign name filters that will help you narrow down the list.
- Our link-checking technology isn't perfect. It's possible that a URL looks fine to our crawler, but doesn't load correctly for real users (for example, if the page content is garbled). This is fairly rare, but to keep in mind.
- Similarly, it's possible that our crawler flags a page as broken when it actually works fine. This is usually because your web server is blocking our crawler. If you check the page manually and you're sure it works, Dismiss the task.
- We only check your Google Ads destination URLs, not your entire website.
- As with all improvement tasks, we won't be able to detect a broken link if the ad is paused.