One paid advertising innovation that's taken the world by storm over the last few years is the use of remarketing (otherwise known as retargeting, on Facebook and other platforms.)
This is the practice of building and "following" people who have in one way or another viewed or interacted with an ad, video, or other piece of content you have created.
What this does is allow you to get multiple chances to connect with these audiences for a very small investment, resulting in many more conversions over the long haul.
How do you set this up in Google Adwords?
There are essentially two ways to use remarketing in Adwords.
One way is through the use of a remarketing pixel that Adwords generates for your particular account. The other is through your Google Analytics account. In my view using the GA remarketing method is far superior. Here's why.
Using Analytics gives you a more complete set of data to work with, and allows you to use the built-in capabilities of GA to collect additional data about your traffic. This is a large advantage.
The Advantages of Using Segmentation in your Campaigns
Using segmentation in your remarketing campaigns is a must-do. There are many ways you can segment your lists. We'll go over a few of them here.
Segment your lists by those who have taken a certain action, such as a purchase, click, visits or referral source. There are literally limitless options you can employ through the various conditions and filters you can apply. This gives you a virtually endless ways to create audiences.
Other remarketing tips
- Use time slots to segment performance over time, for example, 1-3 days, 3-7 days, 7-14 days, 14-30 days, and so on. You can add conditions to these as well.
- Use your segmenting to adjust your bids in line with performance.
- Sometimes you can employ the same creative along with a different message to remarket more effectively.
- Try engaging on a different channel or use a promo code to shake up your campaigns.
- Definitely connect your YouTube and Adwords accounts together, as you can create highly targeted remarketing lists based on video views, and this is very inexpensive to boot!
Where can you learn more?
We've only just scratched the surface here, and there is a ton more you need to learn if you want to benefit from the most cost-effective, highly targeted method of paid advertising that's come along in some time. Not only that, the power and immense reach of the largest search audience in the world is at your fingertips.
To learn more, check out our Ultimate Adwords Remarketing Setup for a comprehensive view on how to set and optimize your remarketing campaigns on Google Adwords.